Thursday, August 17, 2006

Second Guest Post - DivaJood

This next post is from someone who is special to me. The way we met represents what's great about the Internet. We met on a newsgroup, found out we lived close to one another and had a lot in common. Our paths would not normally have crossed, but thanks to the Web, DivaJood of 'Journeys With Jood' is a part of my life, and I value her friendship very much. I love watching her grow as a blogger, and seeing the ripples spread out, inspiring other people.

I have always been political. I grew up at a time when people became polarized over Viet Nam and it made me very, very political. My leanings in college were radical activist, but I tempered them when I joined my first political campaign - I was one of the "Clean for Gene" McCarthy supporters. I recall a bus trip to Scranton to identify McCarthy voters. After I dropped out of college, I moved to Israel, and lived on a Kibbutz for a year. I got married, we moved back to the States, and I became active working for former Congressman Abner J. Mikva in some of the closest Congressional campaigns imaginable. I remained active, but in lesser capacities, until I moved to California and found myself living in the Beach Cities where I was surrounded by Republicans; some wealthy, some skin heads, some just too confusing. After 9/11 I found myself unable to speak my fears because of the people who surrounded me.

Then I got an email from my friend Alicia about her experience singing on Neil Young's Living with War album. I started tentatively to blog, and found more people who shared my fears, and voice. Now, Alicia has done it again with a new blog, Operation Preaching to the Choir. Here is her comment:
"I have come to understand that there is a large segment of the population that, because of their emotional need, will follow this administration wherever it goes; that there is nothing awful enough that would change the minds of these people, if they have chosen to believe in these self-appointed authoritarians. If George Bush says black is white (and he does!) then that's what they'll believe. Facts, logic and reality have no place in their worldview. As Richard Pryor once said, "Who are you going to believe - me or your lying eyes?"

But I also understand that this segment is not the majority, and I am not going to attempt to change the minds of these people. The ones I'm concerned with right now are the people like me - the ones who believe in peace, in social justice, in America as it was intended to be, but are not active because they don't understand that it is necessary. I want to 'preach to the choir'."


This is so simple - one method she suggests is to carry around whatever book you are reading as a way to open conversation. That's so non-threatening, but it also makes people aware. Already, I am seeing changes and inroads. My formerly Republican friend was just back east for a wedding - she just called me, we're meeting tonight for dinner. Her big news? She went, with her Republican sister-in-law, to hear Al Gore do his presentation. She said they both walked out energized, convinced they have to take action!

One person talking to another, in conversation, to find solutions. Let's get out there! Let's preach to the choir that hasn't found their voice.
--
Judith

www.journeyswithjood.blogspot.com

4 Comments:

Blogger Alicia Morgan said...

That's a victory right there, Diva - one person. That's how it's done.

8:07 PM  
Blogger kissfan said...

Good to meet you, Diva. That's a great story.

8:33 PM  
Blogger Alicia Morgan said...

Hopefully, we can find a way to get people to understand that this is not a partisan issue - we're all Americans, we all live on this planet.

If we poison it beyond repair, if we incite all-out nuclear war, the Republicans will die the same ghastly death as Democrats, the same as everyone in the world.

This is so beyond politics.

8:42 PM  
Blogger DivaJood said...

Betmo has a post about her journey, over at "Life's Journey." I told her to come to OPTTC.

6:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home